Mark your Calendar ….
October 9, 7pm—Member Meeting
Oct. 7 & 14, 10-12:30—Cast Paper Workshop
Oct. 23, 7-9pm—Polymer Clay Bead Workshop
Nov. 3, 4, 5—Tina Garrett Workshop
Nov. 11 ART of GIFTing Opening Reception, 6-8 pm
Dec. 11—Christmas Party
Currently in the Rowe Gallery:
2017 Invitational Exhibition. through October 20. The idea for this Extraordinary Exhibit is to spotlight the amazing cross-section of styles, mediums and techniques that are generated by the artists in our Region. We are hosting 44 Southwestern Pennsylvania’s most widely respected artists to showcase their divergent works. This exhibit is exceptional because the Rowe Gallery Committee has curated a grouping of artists that are not generally gathered in the same venue. The Event promises to be an incredible celebration of Southwestern Pennsylvania’s talent and artistic vision. Gallery Hours: M-F 10AM-4PM W 10AM-7PM SAT 1-4PM
Nov. 11 – Dec. 22, The ART of GIFTing Opening Nov 11, 6-8 pm
More information in the at Greensburg Art Center, and on the website:
Click here for Prospectus and Entry Form
Also… a contest exhibition in the classroom…
“Winter Woodlands” Creations Contest
Entries due ~ Oct 27, 2017
A CONTEST for 2D Art with theme of “Winter Woodlands” To All artists entering our separate contest (this contest is not included with “the ART of GIFTing” entry/fee) ~ You may submit 1 – 3 entries. These must be FOR SALE.
- Fee to enter is $5 for each work – i.e., $5 for one work; $10 for 2 works; $15 for 3 works. Limit ~ three entries.
- This contest is open to EVERYONE and is not a part of “the ART of GIFTing” fee.
- To enter: Each original work should be no larger than 16×20″, including the frame. All works must be framed, if necessary, and ready for hanging or display. Canvas wrapped work is also acceptable. Any medium is permitted – work may be realistic, abstract, or whimsical. These will be displayed on the walls in the Classroom Gallery during the holiday 2017 exhibition. Prizes will be awarded. Work must illustrate the theme of “Winter Woodlands.” GAC Teachers: Please share this info with your classes.
Emergence – Works by Sarah Hunter,
OPENING Wednesday October 18, 2017 6-8pm
Show Runs: October 9-November 3
Westmoreland Community College,
Youngwood Campus, Art Gallery, Science Hall
145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood
“Picture This at the Library” is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library. Photographers Suzanne and Jim Andrews’ Exhibition will be in place at the library from October 6 through December 1, 2017. OPENING RECEPTION: October 13, 2017 from 6-8 PM. Please plan to attend. Members are asked to bring a food item. Please contact Rosemary Sovyak for questions or if you are willing to exhibit for the 2018 season.
More informaton on classes and online registration
- Cast Paper Oct 7 & 14
- Polymer Clay Beads Oct 23
- Tina Garrett Nov 3,4 & 5
- Holiday Pysanky Workshop Dec 2
- Oils with Jerry Scorpion-teens/adults, Saturdays 1-3 PM, sessions are on-going.
- Figure Drawing Session, Carolyn Taylor, 3rd Thursday each month,
10AM-1PM. $10. To participate, if you would like to model, or if you have discovered someone who would like to, please call Carolyn Taylor with your contact information at 724-600-0902.
- “Wednesday Night Painters,”
- “Paint a Masterpiece,” with Nina Stalhberg, Tuesdays 10 AM-1 PM. $18/session
- “Oil with Jackie Moreno,” Tuesdays 1:30-4:30 $14/session
- Tole-painting, Rose Hastings, Tuesdays, on-going, 6-9 PM
Fall Classes 2017 Starting Dates The Fall Classes are up and running.
You can still get in on the fun and learning. Check the website for details.
- October 3 Art History with Maureen Vissat Kochanek, Tuesday,12-1 pm
- David and Suzie Sparks are returning with offerings for children ages 6 & up Thursdays after school and 3 workshops on Saturdays.
- Suzanne Andrews offers creativity to pre-schoolers on Wednesdays beginning October 25.
- Pam Cooper continues to offer Paint&Sip and birthday parties. Call 724-216-7512 to make arrangements.
Open Studios: A Valuable Investment in Your Portfolio of Art
Consider this: Greensburg Art Center is a true artistic gem in our community. Besides being a perfect facility to accommodate many artists, it houses an invaluable resource of outstanding instructors within our classes and open studios. A wealth of knowledge is available at one’s fingertips from teachers who have studied with notable artists throughout the country, paid for workshops to expand their skills, gleaned knowledge from study and practice, and prepare vigorously for each class or open studio they present.
A building fee $4.00 does not include payment for the valuable instruction you may be receiving in open studio sessions. The advice and guidance you receive is well worth the entire studio fee charged. Value and respect the experience of your instructor so generously and freely shared. Know that nowhere else in the community can you find such a resource as our GAC instructors. Be sure to pay the full amount of the studio fee your instructor requests at each session (once any regular class series is complete). It is the best and fairest investment your money can buy!
Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance . There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records.
DARKROOM Rental—In 2017 a DARKROOM is available for rental. The DARKROOM is designed properly for use with several enlargers and the necessary trays, sink, safe light, timers, etc. Chemicals and developing paper are NOT included in the rental cost. Bring your negatives or film and have fun developing! 10-1pm or 1-4pm for $5 $40- all week. INTERESTED? Call Shirleah Kelly 412-915-0301
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees – Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities (climb ladders, paint, patch, caulk, odd jobs), Marketing (help with publicity, Facebook and Twitter input), plus.
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
- My sincerest thanks to all of you who gave Don and me your support, prayers, and love during the final weeks with my mother-in-law Carol Pollock.For those of you who knew her, you are well aware of her love for the arts.I can honestly say that I would not have become as deeply involved in the art community myself without her example to get me started and her inspiration to build my own path. I will always be grateful for that.
- 2017 INAUGURAL INVITATIONAL EXHIBIT – I can only say ”WOW” ! We are so happy with this exhibit and its exhibitors. We already have artists asking how they can become a part of this prestigious event for its next incarnation (hopefully, no sooner than 2 -3 years from now). It was a lot of work, but well worth it. A “CLASS photo” is being made to be mailed to all of the participants. Artists who had never met or tried to catch up with those they hadn’t seen for decades were very excited with the opportunity to connect. And the rest of us were thrilled to meet artists that we have never been able to meet before. Our hard working Gallery Committee was pushed hard but rose to the challenge beautifully!
- A very special thanks to those who have made DONATIONSto our center – Our center would not exist if it weren’t for the generosity of so many people who find it in their hearts to make donations to help keep our art center alive and well: REBECCA GARDNER was unfortunately missed in the recognition of those who have helped the cause for our Invitational exhibit as a Diamond Sponsor. My apologies to her because she has been a faithful supporter of the art center for years. We love you, Rebecca.
- AMAZON SMILE HOW CAN YOU HELP GAC BY LITERALLY JUST LIFTING A FINGER. It’s quite simple.When ordering anything from Amazon, just bookmark your search engine at https://smile.amazon.com, select Greensburg Art Club as your charity, and shop as you normally would. It’s literally money in the bank for GAC. Won’t you please do your part to help underwrite our wonderful GAC?
- ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF MEMBERSHIP– ARLENE KENDRA has been diligently campaigning on our behalf to obtain recognition through the Westmoreland Historical Society for the efforts that have been made to preserve the character of the original schoolhouse while bringing it into the 21st century with improvements and the addition of the gallery and lower level studios. Furthermore, the mission of the original schoolhouse continues on as we educate so many in the community in the visual arts. This award will be given to GAC on October 25, 2017 at a special dinner ceremony. Thanks, Arlene – your perseverance has paid off and you are to be commended.
- EXHIBITION OPPORTUNITIES –The Pittsburgh Watercolor Society announces its 71st Annual Aqueous International Exhibition 2017 September 30 – October 21, 2017 at the Spinning Plate Gallery Pittsburgh, PA. For a prospectus and full exhibit information please go to www.pittsburghwatercolorsociety.com.
- The Art Show @Pitt-Greensburg is intended to showcase both the artistic talent of the campus community and the surrounding southwestern Pennsylvania community. This event bridges Pitt-Greensburg’s Founders’ Day to its Blue & Gold Week, celebrating the long history and evolution of the school while looking forward to educating many future generations of students. More info at www.greensburg.pitt.edu/art-show
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., please contact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Monitor’s Rewards Program Check out our “Monitors’ Rewards Program” designed to thank our monitors and encourage new monitors to join us! If you have any questions about becoming a monitor, or about the new program, please contact Alice O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 724-864-0865. Monitor Schedule now on the web also under “Welcome” tab on the website.
Donations — For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…Download the Special Donor Form at http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/special-donors/or to donate via PayPal.
Giclee Printer Rick is a professional printer and photographer who does archival giclee prints.
Rick Armstrong, 5142 Scenic Road, Murrysville, PA 15668, email@example.com
FREE DRAFTING TABLE 3×5 w/Metal Base – Excellent Condition Chuck 724-516-3067