IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER…
June 11 – Cafe Art Open House Sunday, from 2-4 pm.
Join us for an afternoon of inspiration, art, tips, presentations, sharing , coffee
and cookies, and more! Our informal program will include a discussion of
photography, beginning at 2:30 pm, by three of Art to the 9s current exhibitors
Richard Stoner Suzanne Panchura Shirleah Kelly.
June 12 – Members Meeting 7 pm
June 24 – Art to the Nines Closing
July 8 – Jerry Scorpion Opening
August 4 – Twisted Trivia Night The 2nd Annual—Friday 6-9 PM.
Details/registration are on the website
or call 724 837 6791 to register)
NEW!!! August 13 – GAC PICNIC at Don and Renie Pollock’s 4:30 pm
September 9 – Invitational Opening
November 11 – The ART of GIFTing Opening
For Summer Classes and current information — Check our web at greensburgartcenter.org
Summer classes and workshops have been organized and posted to the GAC website and to the Hempfield Area School District website. Flyers were mailed May 23. Thanks for all the “helping hands” who gathered to complete this task. Members thinking of offering a class or workshop in the fall are reminded to get their proposals in by July 31.
“Picture This at the Library” “Picture This at the Library” is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library. The current featured artist is John Bixler and his exhibition will remain on the library walls until June 23, 2017. Artist Charlotte Long will be featured from July 6 through September 18, 2017. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor for the 2018 season, please contact Rosemary Sovyak at email@example.com or 412-558-0810.
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., please contact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Donations — For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…go to http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/ways-to-donate/ for donations through PayPal
Check out our “Monitors’ Rewards Program” designed to thank our monitors and encourage new monitors to join us! If you have any questions about becoming a monitor, or about the new program, please contact Alice O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 724-864-0865.Monitor Schedule now on the web http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/ pulldown menu under “Welcome”.
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING.
CLASSES / WORKSHOPS
June 29 – Tole Painting Workshop
• June 29 – Tole Painting “make and take” with Rose Hastings, 6-9PM, $25 includes all supplies
August 17 – Silk Scarves Workshop
• August 17 – Design Silk Scarves with Cathy Rosensteel, 5-9:00PM, $25 includes all supplies
There are children’s classes for pre-school through teen agers. We welcome Suzie and David Sparks as teachers in our children’s program. Suzanne Panchura will offer 2 camps.
August 4 & 19 – Cast Paper Workshop
• August 4 & 19 – Cast Paper with Renie Pollock, 10AM-12:30PM, $28 includes all supplies
Nov 3,4,5 – Tina Garrett Oil Painting Workshop Information and registration on the website 9 AM – 4 PM – Oil Painting with Tina Garret. $360 ($60 to GAC reserves your place)
August 1-3, 10AM-12:00 – Wood Tattooing for ages 12-18
August 7-11, 10AM-12:30PM – Fantasy and Imagination Camp for ages 7-12
The clay studio will be busy with Renie’s “Clay Play” and “It’s Child’s Play”. Welcome to Denise Moore’s “Hand-building with Clay”
Members interested in taking a CPR/AED class from Mutual Aid are asked to sign the sheet at the monitor’s desk. The cost of the class is $15 and will be scheduled when we have 13 to 15 participants. The AED device has been installed in the gallery.
- Open Studio Weekdays 10 am – 1 pm Open studio sessions Wednesday Night Painters evenings, 7:00 PM $4.00
- Oil Painting Studio Saturday afternoons with Jerry Scorpion. 1-4 pm $ 12.50
- Ongoing – Open Studio – Learn What Makes a Good Oil Painting – with Jackie Moreno Tuesdays, 1-4pm
- Knitting Group Call Betsy Orr (724-837-1360) for details**
- Open Studio: “Paint a Masterpiece” with Nina Stahlberg, on Thursdays, from 10:00 to 1:00 offers a wide variety of painting opportunities in oil, acrylic, or pastel. This accomplished artist will guide all participants, from beginners to advanced painters of all ages. The only requirement is a desire to learn to paint. $18.50 per session.
- Tuesday evening with Rose Hastings ongoing except for bad weather or illness. 6pm-9pm.
Figure Drawing Opportunities – Join the challenge and fun as we expand our figure drawing skills and abilities! Each month GAC offers a costumed model to pose for sketches for a three hour drawing session (starting with 5 minute poses and graduating to 20 minute ones). A small, supportive, and inspired group will share tips and encouragement as we explore awareness of portraying the human form. Join with us, along with professional and amateur models on the third Thursday of each month, from 10:00 to 1:00. The fee is just $10 for the entire session.
To participate, if you would like to model, or if you have discovered someone who would like to, please call Carolyn Taylor with your contact information at 724-600-0902.
- Clay Play Open Studio starts Monday, March 9, Every Wednesday evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm till Thanksgiving.Questions: Renie Pollock at email@example.com
- Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance . There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records. Thank you for your co-operation in this matter. Jackie Moreno
- DARKROOM Rental—In the Spring 2017 a DARKROOM will be available for rental. Enlargers, trays, tools, etc. may be used by the rental person. Supplies are NOT! Bring your negatives and have fun developing!10-1pm or 1-4pm for $10
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees – Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities (climb ladders, paint, patch, caulk, odd jobs), Marketing (help with publicity, Facebook and Twitter input), plus.
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
NEW PROGRAM TO HONOR SPECIAL PEOPLE IN OUR LIVES AND … BEAUTIFY OUR GROUNDS. So far we have had a tremendous response to our new program to beautify our grounds and honor people that we love with 12 trees and shrubs donated by many of our members – SUSAN KIREN, ROSE SOVYAK, BARBARA MCDONALD, JERRY SCORPION, , NANCY DALVERNY, BOB AND PAT MAJCHER, THE CHILDREN OF RURH OHLSEN, and DON AND RENIE POLLOCK. We hope to have an official groundbreaking for the plantings by early June. The first stage of this program will begin along the perimeter of the parking lot at Todd School Road. You are invited to have a living testament of your love for very special people in your lives. Trees (and selected shrubs) will include ground markers” In Honor of” or “In Memorium of “ for the person(s) you select. Gifts of this type will range from $75 to $350 (depending on the selected PLANT, SIZE, and marker). Prices include stainless steel plaques and planting. More details are posted on our website. Payments can be made by check, credit card, or PayPal. Questions? Email or text Renie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-396-6699.
- A very special thanks to those who have made DONATIONSto our center – My sincerest thanks to those who find it in their hearts to make generous donations to help keep our art center alive and well: DONNA KANTORIK
- EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITIES – The Pittsburgh Watercolor Society announces its 71st Annual Aqueous International Exhibition 2017 September 30 – October 21, 2017 at the Spinning Plate Gallery Pittsburgh, PA. For a prospectus and full exhibit information please go to www.pittsburghwatercolorsociety.com.