ROWE GALLERY Exhibitions
For Classes and current information — Check our web at greensburgartcenter.org
Like and follow us on FACEBOOK
DATES TO REMEMBER
RELATIVE TO RELATIVE TO RELATIVE
Kutz, Jackson & Mitchell Show—through April 29 in Rowe Gallery
April 22 Art on the Vine fundraiser
May 6 Opening Reception – Art to the Nines 6-8 pm
May 12-13 Barry Jeter Watercolor Workshop
Nov 3-5 Tina Garret Oil Painting Workshop
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees – Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities (climb ladders, paint, patch, caulk, odd jobs), Marketing (help with publicity, Facebook and Twitter input), plus.
“Picture This at the Library” “Picture This at the Library” Program is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Area Library. The upcoming featured artist is John Bixler. John’s exhibit An Abstract Beginning opens on March 31, 2017 through June 23, 2017; Opening Reception is April 7, 2017 from 6-8 PM. Hope to see you there! A call goes out to artists for the 2018 season. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor for the 2018 season, please contact Rosemary Sovyak— the GAC-Library liaison at: email@example.com or 724-853-1822.
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING.
Members interested in taking a CPR/AED class from Mutual Aid are asked to sign the sheet at the monitor’s desk. The cost of the class is $15 and will be scheduled when we have 13 to 15 participants. The AED device has been installed in the gallery.
Figure Drawing Opportunities – Expand your skills and abilities! Our center offers many chances to grow and develop as an artist. Of those, the opportunity of having a costumed model pose for a three hour drawing session (of course, with breaks) is a rare treat and privilege. Those sessions greatly inspire art works and help develop awareness of the beauty and complexity of the human form. Join with us along with professional and amateur models on the third Thursday of each month— from 10:00 to 1:00. The fee is just $10 for the entire session. If you would like to model or have discovered someone who would like to model, please call Carolyn Taylor with your contact information at 724-600-0902.
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., please contact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Donations The Greensburg Art Center wishes to extend a heartfelt thanks to Mary Ann and Jeff Wolfe for the generous donation of artifacts for the Silent Auction that is currently be held at the center. Proceeds from the sale of these will support the programs and projects planned for 2017. The Silent Auction continues until April 22, 2017, culminating at the conclusion of Art on the Vine. Get to the center and place your bids for these and the artwork on display in the classroom!
For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…Download the Special Donor Form at http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/special-donors/or to donate via PayPal. or go to the GoFundMe site to donate.
Monitor’s Rewards Program Check out our “Monitors’ Rewards Program” designed to thank our monitors and encourage new monitors to join us! If you have any questions about becoming a monitor, or about the new program, please contact Alice O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 724-864-0865.
Monitor Schedule now on the web http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/ pulldown menu under “Welcome”.
CLASSES / WORKSHOPS
April 4, 11, 18, from 6-8PM Making B/W
Photographic Prints with Jim Andrews
April 25 & May 2 from 6-8PM
Developing B/W Photographic Film with Jim Andrews
Young Artists plans include: Teen Painting Classes April 1 & 8, 1-4:00 PM
Ages 7-12 Classes March 25, April 1, 8, May 6, 13, 20, 10 AM – NOON Pre-school April 26, May 3, 10, 17, 10-11:30 AM
TEACHER PROPOSALS FOR SUMMER CLASSES, CAMPS AND WORKSHOPS ARE DUE APRIL 30.
Brian McCall, Artist’s Opening Reception & Ellsworth Ave First Friday ArtWalk April 7, 5:30-8:30pm Live music Jessie Wills, John Loverti & Nelson Harrison Light refreshments, Show runs April 7 – 29 A Porcupine in Pittsburgh! is a solo exhibition by Greensburg based artist, Brian McCall. McCall captures landmarks of Pittsburgh with his lively watercolor illustrations and pairs them with his signature polystyrene sculptures, depicting wild animals indigenous to regions far from Western PA.
The Greensburg Art Center is hosting our Annual Wine and Food Paring Event
This year’s Theme, “A Garden of Tasteful Delights,” will feature foods from various categories that will be paired with the appropriate wine selection from the wine cellar of Greendance Winery. Dessert will be served by Sand Hill Berries and is included in the price of the ticket, $50 per person.
A Silent-Auction of original artwork will be on-going during the festivities. Each guest will receive a hand-painted wine glass as their vessel for a delightful evening of wine-tasting, food, art, music and fun. To register by mail, send checks ($50/person) and list of guest(s) in your party to: Greensburg Art Center, 230 Todd School Road, Greensburg, PA 15601
For more information, please contact the Greensburg Art Center at 724-837-6791.
TWO UPCOMING WORKSHOPS:
May 12 & 13 — 10 AM – 4 PM – Watercolor with Barry Jeter. $150, lunch included.
Nov 3, 4 & 5 — 9 AM – 4 PM – Oil Painting with Tina Garret. $360 ($60 to GAC reserves your place)
- Open Studio Weekdays 10 am – 1 pm
- Open studio sessions Wednesday Night Painters evenings, 7:00 PM $4.00
- Oil Painting Studio Saturday afternoons with Jerry Scorpion. 1-4 pm $ 12.50
- Ongoing – Open Studio – Learn What Makes a Good Oil Painting – with Jackie Moreno Tuesdays, 1-4pm
- Knitting Group Call Betsy Orr (724-837-1360) for details**
Open Studio: “Paint a Masterpiece” with Nina Stahlberg, on Thursdays, from 10:00 to 1:00 offers a wide variety of painting opportunities in oil, acrylic, or pastel. This accomplished artist will guide all participants, from beginners to advanced painters of all ages. The only requirement is a desire to learn to paint. $18.50 per session.
- Tuesday evening Decorative Tole Classes with Rose Hastings ongoing except for bad weather or illness. 6pm-9pm.
- Figure Drawing Opportunities – Join the challenge and fun as we expand our figure drawing skills and abilities! Each month GAC offers a costumed model to pose for sketches for a three hour drawing session (starting with 5 minute poses and graduating to 20 minute ones). A small, supportive, and inspired group will share tips and encouragement as we explore awareness of portraying the human form. Join with us, along with professional and amateur models on the third Thursday of each month, from 10:00 to 1:00. The fee is just $10 for the entire session. To participate, if you would like to model, or if you have discovered someone who would like to, please call Carolyn Taylor with your contact information at 724-600-0902.
- Clay Play Open Studio starts Monday, March 9, Every Wednesday evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm till Thanksgiving.Questions: Renie Pollock at email@example.com
- Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance . There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records. Thank you for your co-operation in this matter. Jackie Moreno
- DARKROOM Rental—In the Spring 2017 a DARKROOM will be available for rental. Enlargers, trays, tools, etc. may be used by the rental person. Supplies are NOT! Bring your negatives and have fun developing!10-1pm or 1-4pm for $10
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
- CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS OF CONNECTIONS – The popular prizes for this exciting show were Gloria Gonzalez with First Prize, Doreen Currie with Second Prize, and Sarah Hunter with Third Prize! So nice to see that we have some new faces in our prize categories as well as our tried and true friends.
- RELATIVE TO RELATIVE TO RELATIVE – What an opening! It was so stimulating to see the abundance of talent, not only with our featured artists, but also with their other relatives – Barbara Jackson, mother to both Kevin and Sandy and Charles Jackson, father of Sandy and uncle to Eddie Mitchell. The homage to these two artists is well-deserved. Definitely this show ranks as one of the most sensory stimulating exhibits at GAC. The opening was supplemented with music playing from the debut release of Kevin’s CD “Airship” which he wrote and fiddled his way through as well as a video loop from the ongoing documentary “After the Fire” (sans sound) that my son Curtis has been working on as a passion project in honor of Kevin and his work. And who could have predicted the impact of seeing the versatility of medium and approach that Sandy displayed with her works all shown together. Wow! And it is a joy to welcome Eddie Mitchell to our GAC family with his technically riveting images of clouds, shadows, and color! Superlative! All this combined with our perennial favorite Kevin Kutz makes this a can’t miss exhibit.
- A very special thanks to those who have made DONATIONS to our center – Joe D’Alesandro (and his family) – the gift that keeps on giving as they continue to help groom our grounds well beyond the initial Eagle Scout commitment he made of installing our green space in our parking lot. What an outstanding example of the younger generation (and the parents who raised him). Thank you all!
Newsletter Submissions Shirleah Kelly- firstname.lastname@example.org.