March 5 & 6 FRAMING SESSIONS FOR ART ON THE VINE ARTWORK
March 9 ART ON THE VINE ART DONATIONS ARE DUE
March 18 Opening of Kutz, Jackson & Mitchell Show
April 22 Art on the Vine fundraiser (Register online)
May 6 Opening of Art to the Nines
May 12-13 Barry Jeter Watercolor Workshop
Nov 3-5 Tina Garret Oil Painting Workshop
Congratulations to the winners of the
People’s Choice Prizes in the GAC Membership’s
First Prize: Desota Forgotten by Gloria Gonzalez
Second Prize: Tweets by Doreen Currie
Third Prize: Letting Go by Sarah Hunter
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees – Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities (climb ladders, paint, patch, caulk, odd jobs), Marketing (help with publicity, Facebook and Twitter input), plus.
“Picture This at the Library” Program is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Area Library. The current exhibit, “Art Retrospective” features work by local artist Tom Niggel. Tom’s interpretation of local scenes, icons and still-life works will be on display through March 17, 2017. The upcoming featured artist is John Bixler. John’s exhibit begins on March 31,2017 through June 23,2017, opening reception April 7, 2017. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor for the 2018 season, please contact Rosemary Sovyak ,GAC Library liaison at: email@example.com or 724-853-1822. Tom Niggel: Art Retrospective, Greensburg-Hempfield Area Library, 237 South Pennsylvania Ave., Greensburg PA. Through March 10, 2017
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING.
Members interested in taking a CPR/AED class from Mutual Aid are asked to sign the sheet at the monitor’s desk. The cost of the class is $15 and will be scheduled when we have 13 to 15 participants. The AED device has been installed in the gallery.
Figure Drawing Opportunities – Expand your skills and abilities! Our center offers many chances to grow and develop as an artist. Of those, the opportunity of having a costumed model pose for sketches for a three hour drawing session (of course, with breaks) is a rare treat and privilege. Those sessions greatly inspire art works and help develop awareness of the beauty and complexity of the human form.
Join with us along with professional and amateur models on the third Thursday of each month, from 10:00 to 1:00 for that purpose. The fee is just $10 for the entire session.
To participate, if you would like to model, or if you have discovered someone who would like to, please call Carolyn Taylor with your contact information at 724-600-0902.
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST: If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., please contact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Donations For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…Download the Special Donor Form at http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/special-donors/or to donate via PayPal
Monitor’s Rewards Program: Check out our “Monitors’ Rewards Program” designed to thank our monitors and encourage new monitors to join us! If you have any questions about becoming a monitor, or about the new program, please contact Alice O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 724-864-0865. Monitor Schedule now on the web http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/ pulldown menu under “Welcome”.
CLASSES / WORKSHOPS
Young Artists plans include: Teen Painting Classes April 1 & 8, 1-4:00 PM
Ages 7-12 Classes March 25, April 1, 8, May 6, 13, 20,
10 AM – NOON Pre-school April 26, May 3, 10, 17, 10-11:30 AM
TEACHER PROPOSALS FOR SUMMER CLASSES,
CAMPS AND WORKSHOPS ARE DUE APRIL 30.
TWO UPCOMING WORKSHOPS:
May 12 & 13 — 10 AM – 4 PM – Watercolor with Barry Jeter. $150, lunch included.
Early Bird Registration, click here
Nov 3, 4 & 5 — 9 AM – 4 PM – Oil Painting with Tina Garret. $360
($60 to GAC reserves your place, Click here)
Open Studio Weekdays 10 am – 1 pm
- Open studio sessions Wednesday Night Painters evenings, 7:00 PM $4.00
- Oil Painting Studio Saturday afternoons with Jerry Scorpion. 1-4 pm $ 12.50
- Ongoing – Open Studio – Learn What Makes a Good Oil Painting – with Jackie Moreno Tuesdays, 1-4pm
- Knitting Group Call Betsy Orr (724-837-1360) for details**
- Open Studio: “Paint a Masterpiece” with Nina Stahlberg, on Thursdays, from 10:00 to 1:00 offers a wide variety of painting opportunities in oil, acrylic, or pastel. This accomplished artist will guide all participants, from beginners to advanced painters of all ages. The only requirement is a desire to learn to paint. $18.50 per session.
- Tuesday evening Decorative Tole Classes with Rose Hastings ongoing except for bad weather or illness. 6pm-9pm.
- FIGURE/PORTRAIT SESSIONS, 3rd Thursday, 10AM – 1PM, $10.00
- Clay Play Open Studio starts Monday, March 9, Every Wednesday evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm till Thanksgiving.Questions: Renie Pollock at email@example.com
- Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance . There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records. Thank you for your co-operation in this matter. Jackie Moreno
- DARKROOM Rental—In the Spring 2017 a DARKROOM will be available for rental. Enlargers, trays, tools, etc. may be used by the rental person. Supplies are NOT! Bring your negatives and have fun developing!10-1pm or 1-4pm for $10
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
- The CONNECTIONS exhibit was a real boost to our bottom line which is unusual for the late winter time slot. We can thank Ken Cutway for his donation of the components of his installation which turned out to be great sellers and a welcome change of presentation for our gallery.
- DONATIONS FOR ART ON THE VINE. Art donations for Art on the Vine are being received on the 2 desks on the right by the chalkboard in the classroom. UNFRAMED PIECES – if you are willing to let me crop or mat as needed we can use our cache of donated frames. Unframed work due by March 4 at 4 pm to allow me time to coordinate art with frames and mats for the framing sessions on Sunday March 5, 10 am – 4 pm and Monday March 6, Noon – 5 pm. Volunteers welcome to help – LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED. AOTV FRAMED DONATIONS are due no later than March 9 so that AOTV will be installed and on display for RELATIVE TO RELATIVE TO RELATIVE opening.
- Speaking of which, RELATIVE TO RELATIVE TO RELATIVE – This FANTASTIC, FUN, and a little bit FUNKY exhibit will be enlivened by a CD entitled “Air Ship.” This is a reference to the old Ship Hotel near Bedford and our very own Kevin Kutz wrote much of the music himself and designed the cover. This event will be the official release of this CD and copies of it will be available for purchase for all of you Kevin fans.
- ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF MEMBERSHIP–. John Bixler has been busy relentlessly getting to the bottom of kiln woes first and then investigating how to get our new slab roller operational. After much back and forth with parts suppliers for both, the clay studio should be back in the handbuilding business by the beginning of Clay Play.
- OUR DEEPEST SYMPATHY to our wonderful friend of the center, ever-faithful monitor every Saturday, terrific painter, and all-around good guy Jerry Scorpion who lost his father recently. We love you!
- A very special thanks to those who have made DONATIONSto our center – Mary Briggs has donated a Randall Kick Wheel for our clay studio. Joetta Gibson, Barry Premosis, Carolyn McCullough, Betty Hammer, and Ann Gravelle also recently made miscellaneous financial donations to GAC to bolster our winter season.
- Exhibit opportunity – “Smalltown Spotlight” a collaborative exhibit with Seton Hill and our local art community. We are invited to get details and submit digital entries by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Submissions Shirleah Kelly- email@example.com.
Lost your copy of the Newsletter, no worries! The latest version is always available on the web at www.greensburgartcenter.org