August 2017 Newsletter
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Through September 18 “Realistic Realm” by Charlotte Long continues at
the Greensburg-Hempfield Library during library hours.
August 4 – Twisted Trivia – CANCELLED!!! due to low participation!
August 13 – 1-4pm GAC picnic at Don and Renie Pollock’s. Open to
GAC members and their guests ONLY RSVP
with side dish or dessert you plan to bring
Through Aug 25 – “A Collection of Works”by Jerry Scorpion continues at
the GAC Rowe Gallery, Free and open to the Public
Sept. 9 6-8pm – Opening Reception 2017 Greensburg Art Center Inaugural
Invitational, It will continue through Oct. 20,2017
November 11 – The ART of GIFTING Opening
Picture This at the Library is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library. Artist Charlotte Long is featured through September 18, 2017. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor for the 2018 season, please contact Rose Sovyak at email@example.com or 412-558-0810.
A very special opening reception and a color catalogue will commemorate this exciting and rare grouping of works from our area’s best of the best. In order to help make this inaugural invitational exhibition a success, the Gallery Committee is seeking sponsors and advertisers for this extraordinary exhibition.
Invitational Exhibition Sponsorship Levels:
Go here to sponsor the exhibit via paypal.
Diamond – $ 101 – $ 500
Gold – $ 51 – $ 100
Silver – $ 25 – $ 50
or download the Sponsorship/Advertising Form to donate or reserve advertising space in the catalogue. All sponsors will be listed, with gratitude, in the catalogue. Please help the center make this an event to remember. Deadline for Advertising and Sponsorships: August 28, 2017
Nov 3, 4 & 5 — 9 AM – 4 PM – Oil Painting with Tina Garret. $360
($60 to GAC reserves your place, Click here)
Aug.1-3, 10AM-12:00 – Wood Tattooing for ages 12-18
Aug. 7-11, 10AM-12:30PM – Fantasy and Imagination Camp for ages 7-12
Aug.17 – Design Silk Scarves with Cathy Rosensteel, 5-9:00PM, $25 includes all supplies
Aug. 17: Figure Drawing Session, Carolyn Taylor, 3rd Thursday each month, 10AM-1PM. $10
To participate, if you would like to model, or if you have discovered someone who would like to, please call Carolyn Taylor with your contact information at 724-600-0902.
IN MEMORIAM Class If you taught or went to school in Hempfield, you probably knew the Kindergarten teacher Ina Abraham. Ina died unexpectedly this past Spring. In an effort to add to a scholarship fund in her memory, Pat Majcher is hosting a paint party August 24, 6-9:00 PM. Cost is $25 with all money going to the fund. Checks can be made to St. Michael’s Orthodox Church with “Ina Abraham” on the memo line.
Aug. 1 : Oils with Jerry Scorpion-teens/adults, Saturdays 1-3 PM, sessions are on-going.
Aug.2 : “Wednesday Night Painters,” adults, evenings, 7-10 PM. $4
Aug. 8 : “Paint a Masterpiece,” with Nina Stalhberg, Tuesdays 10 AM-1 PM. $18/session
Aug. 8 : Tole-painting, Rose Hastings, Tuesdays, on-going, 6-9 PM
Aug. 5 & 19 – Cast Paper with Renie Pollock, 10AM-12:30PM, $28 includes all supplies
Clay Play Open Studio Every Wednesday evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm till Thanksgiving.
Questions: Renie Pollock at firstname.lastname@example.org
The clay studio will be busy with Renie’s “Clay Play” and “It’s Child’s Play”.
Welcome to Denise Moore’s “Hand-building with Clay”
Email or text Renie at email@example.com or 724-396-6699.
Classes and workshops have been organized and posted to the GAC website and to the Hempfield Area School District website. The schedule for Fall classes will be posted and mailed in August. Fall classes begin in September.
Open Studios: A Valuable Investment in Your Portfolio of Art
Consider this: Greensburg Art Center is a true artistic gem in our community. Besides being a perfect facility to accommodate many artists, it houses an invaluable resource of outstanding instructors within our classes and open studios. A wealth of knowledge is available at one’s fingertips from teachers who have studied with notable artists throughout the country, paid for workshops to expand their skills, gleaned knowledge from study and practice, and prepare vigorously for each class or open studio they present.
A building fee $4.00 does not include payment for the valuable instruction you may be receiving in open studio sessions. The advice and guidance you receive is well worth the entire studio fee charged. Value and respect the experience of your instructor so generously and freely shared. Know that nowhere else in the community can you find such a resource as our GAC instructors. Be sure to pay the full amount of the studio fee your instructor requests at each session (once any regular class series is complete). It is the best and fairest investment your money can buy!
GAC Education Committee
- Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance . There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records.
- DARKROOM Rental—In 2017 a DARKROOM is available for rental. Enlargers, trays, tools, etc. may be used by the rental person. Supplies are NOT! Bring your negatives and have fun developing! 10-1pm or 1-4pm for $5 INTERESTED? Call Shirleah Kelly 412-915-0301
“Winter Woodlands” Creations Contest
Entries due ~ Oct 27, 2017
A CONTEST for 2D Art with theme of “Winter Woodlands”
To All artists entering our separate contest —(This contest is not included with “the ART of GIFTing” entry/fee) ~ You may submit 1 – 3 entries. These must be FOR SALE.
* Fee to enter is $5 for each work – i.e., $5 for one work; $10 for 2 works; $15 for 3 works. Limit ~ three entries.
**This contest is open to EVERYONE.
To enter: Each original work should be no larger than 16×20″, including the frame. All works must be framed, if necessary, and ready for hanging or display. Canvas wrapped work is also acceptable. Any medium is permitted. Work may be realistic, abstract, or whimsical. These will be displayed on the walls in the Classroom Gallery during the Holiday 2017 Exhibition. Prizes will be awarded. Work must illustrate the theme of “Winter Woodlands.”
GAC Teachers: Please share this info with your classes.
More details will be posted later. Watch for more information in the GAC newsletters, on Facebook: Greensburg Art Center and on the website: www.greensburgartcenter.com.
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees – Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities (climb ladders, paint, patch, caulk, odd jobs), Marketing (help with publicity, Facebook and Twitter input), plus.
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
DON’T FORGET THE GAC PICNIC!!! Remember it’s Sunday, August 13 this year (not September) and it is 1-4pm. Many of you have responded but we’re still waiting to hear from others. As a reminder, this is for GAC Members and their guests ONLY. Come enjoy the live sounds of Lovebettie and enjoy a wonderful spread of food. Who could ask for more? The art center is providing chicken, hamburgers, and hot dogs. Let us know what you will be bringing so we can have appropriate room for everything – and, please, let us know if your food will need chilled or heated.
- RECOGNITION OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – We are fortunate to have several people step up to the plate to help with the huge task of setting up the display cases for our shows. Beginning with the current Jerry Scorpion exhibit, they have cleaned cases, catalogued inventory, handled labeling, and put their creative juices in motion to create beautiful displays that invite the viewer to browse and savour the wonderful bounty of fine crafts from our Artist Market. For several days straight, they have proven themselves to be an asset to the functioning of our gallery. My sincerest thanks to Rhonda Pegg, Cindy Regina, Dee Dorundo, Denise Moore, and Sarah Hunter. Looking forward to working with you again for the next exhibit.
- 2017 INAUGURAL INVITATIONAL EXHIBIT -Coming soon – September 9, 6 -8 pm a show the likes of which we have never seen at GAC. This is a grouping of artists who have rarely exhibited together making for a once in a lifetime event and we are honored to host this for our audience. This is not to be missed.
- A very special thanks to those who have made DONATIONSto our center – My sincerest thanks to those who find it in their hearts to make generous donations to help keep our art center alive and well: ROSE SOVYAK and ROSS POLLOCK and NANCY DALVERNY have given us a very needed boost to help underwrite our upcoming Invitational exhibit.
- There’s always room for more help for this huge undertaking either monetarily or with the generous food contributions that we are famous for. If you’re planning on contributing food, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will have appropriate serving trays and tools available so that our food tables will be very elegant. For this event, we would prefer food that is bite size and does not require utensils to eat – just toothpicks at the most. Thanks so much for your cooperation in this.
- NEW PROGRAM TO HONOR SPECIAL PEOPLE IN OUR LIVES AND … BEAUTIFY OUR GROUNDS. You are invited to have a living testament of your love for very special people in your lives. Trees (and selected shrubs) will include ground markers” In Honor of” or “In Memorium of “ for the person(s) you select. Gifts of this type will range from $75 to $350 (depending on the selected PLANT, SIZE, and marker). Prices include stainless steel plaques and planting. More details are posted on our website. Payments can be made by check, credit card, or PayPal. Questions? Email or text Renie at email@example.com or 724-396-6699.
- ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF MEMBERSHIP – While most of us simply admire the new trees and shrubs along the Todd School Road side of our parking lot, please remember that these plants would not survive this long, hard summer nor would our gardens be weed free without the dedication of Pat Majcher and Rose and Fred Sovyak. We could certainly use some other volunteers for the grounds maintenance. If you could even donate a couple of hours a month it would help lessen the burden for these dedicated people. Just let us know if you can assist on this.
More details are posted on our website. Payments can be made by check, credit card, or PayPal. Questions? Email or text Renie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-396-6699.
• EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITIES – The Pittsburgh Watercolor Society announces its 71st Annual Aqueous International Exhibition 2017 September 30 – October 21, 2017 at the Spinning Plate Gallery Pittsburgh, PA. For a prospectus and full exhibit information please go to www.pittsburghwatercolorsociety.com.
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT
SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING.
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST
If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., please contact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Monitor’s Rewards Program
Check out our “Monitors’ Rewards Program” designed to thank our monitors and encourage new monitors to join us! If you have any questions about becoming a monitor, or about the new program, please contact Alice O’Brien at email@example.com or call her at 724-864-0865.Monitor Schedule now on the web http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/ pulldown menu under “Welcome”.
Donations — For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…Download the Special Donor Form at http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/special-donors/or to donate via PayPal.
Giclee Printer Rick is a professional printer and photographer who does archival giclee prints.
5142 Scenic Road, Murrysville, PA 15668
FREE DRAFTING TABLE 3×5 w/Metal Base – Excellent Condition Chuck 724-516-3067
Members interested in taking a CPR/AED class from Mutual Aid are asked to sign the sheet at the monitor’s desk. The cost of the class is $15 and will be scheduled when we have 13 to 15 participants. The AED device has behttp://www.greensburgartcenter.orgen installed in the gallery.
Newsletter Submissions Shirleah Kelly- firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lost your copy of the Newsletter, no worries! The latest version is always available on the web at www.greensburgartcenter.org