2018 March Newsletter
March 10 – April 22
GAC Opening Reception –March 10 6-8pm pm
The Greensburg Art Center, Dan Overdorff and Headkeeper Tapas Bar are proud to jointly present the exhibition, CONTEMPORARIES. This Exhibition features 16 local Artists. It will be held in two locations: the Greensburg Art Center and Headkeeper Tapas Bar. The concurrent event runs from March 10 through April 22, 2018 at both locations and will celebrated with 2 receptions. March 10, 2018 from 6-8pm at the Greensburg Art Center marks the first event, and the second will be hosted by Headkeeper Tapas Bar on March 25, 2017, 6-8 pm. Music entertainment will be provided at the GAC site by The Rainbow Ends.
CONGRATULATIONS! INSIDE~OUTSIDE PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS
1st Prize ($100) Nancy Dalverny
2nd Prize ($75) Cathy Rosensteel
3rd Prize ($50) Stacey Pydnykowski
All THAT JAZZ The Greensburg Art Center announces an upcoming event, “All That Jazz,”March18, 2018 from 3-5 PM. Featured in the group is Lou Stellute on saxaphone, Nina Defazio- vocalist, Joe Defazio-piano, Jason Hollar-bass and Dave Jamison on drums. The event is designed as a relaxing Sunday afternoon of Easy Listening Jazz performed by regionally recognized talent. Light refreshments will be served. Advanced tickets are $12 single or $20 per couple and can be purchased at the Greensburg Art Center. At the door tickets are $15 each or $25 for two. For Advance Tickets and more information… click here
ART ON THE VINE, our annual fundraiser with music, food, wine and an art auction will be held Saturday, April 21, 2018. The theme this year is PUTTIN’ ON THE RITZ, so get your boas and top hats ready. A photo booth will be an added attraction to capture the fun. More details will be coming soon.The silent auction which is an important part of the fundraiser depends on donations from our members. Consider donating a small piece of your work to be part of the auction. For Advance Registration, Tickets and information… click here
EILEEN SUDZINA Workshop– June 1,2,3– Details to follow.
“Picture This at the Library”is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library. Please join us for this exciting venue at the library. We are proud to announce that the upcoming artist exhibition is by Joni Rozell. Opening Reception: Friday, March 3 from 6-8pm. through March 29, 2018.
followed by an Exhibition by Carolyn Taylor. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor for the 2019 season, please contact Rosemary Sovyak
Greensburg/Hempfield Library Mural on Third Floor The mural is in memory of Kindergarten teacher Ina Abraham. The artists who worked on the mural are all members of GAC – Mary Ann Calabrase, Nancy Dalverny, Shirleah Kelly, Pat Majcher and Rose Sovyak. The mural will be officially dedicated later in the spring.
EMPTY BASKET EVENT Rose Sovyak made a basket for the Empty Bowl event benefiting the Westmoreland Food Bank. Thanks to Rose for this donation, all in the name of Greensburg Art Center.
- Oils with Jerry Scorpion-teens/adults, Saturdays 1-3 PM, sessions are on-going.
- Figure Drawing Session-Third Thursday of each MONTH, 10AM-1PM. $10 Expand and challenge your drawing skills! Join with a small, but dedicated band of artists, as they draw the human form using any medium or approach! The sessions are held in a supportive and relaxed environment. Hope to see you there! Questions or suggestions? Call Carolyn Taylor at 724 600 0902.
- “Paint a Masterpiece,” with Nina Stalhberg, Thursdays 10 AM-1 PM. $18/session
- “Oil with Jackie Moreno,” Tuesdays 1:30-4:30 $14/session
- Tole-painting, Rose Hastings, Tuesdays, on-going, 6-9 PM
- Pam Cooper continues to offer Paint&Sip and birthday parties. Call 724-216-7512 to make arrangements.
- Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance . There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records.
- DARKROOM Rental—A DARKROOM is available for rental. The DARKROOM is designed properly for use with several enlargers and the necessary trays, sink, safe light, timers, etc. Chemicals and developing paper are NOT included in the rental cost. Bring your negatives or film and have fun developing! $5/day. INTERESTED? email Shirleah Kelly
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
- COMPLEMENTARY – Fred Danziger is our juror for the 2018 Biennial exhibit. Check out his website www.freddanziger.com and go to the link on our website for information/prospectus and link to online entry form…
Complementary Entry Form to get the inside scoop and prospectus for this wonderful prizes and the opportunity to be in a first rate show at our first rate venue.
Download the PROSPECTUS FOR BIENNIAL or Click here to enter online
- ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF MEMBERSHIP– All of you who have donated your talents and time to our upcoming art auction are to be thanked profusely. This is a big part of our annual fundraiser and is crucial to keeping our center viable!
- MEMBERSHIP DUES AND ARTIST MARKET FEES – If you haven’t paid your 2018 dues or AM fees they are due right now. PLEASE NOTE THAT 2018 DUES ARE AS FOLLOWS: INDIVIDUAL $40, FAMILY $70, STUDENT $25. ARTIST MARKET FEES ARE STILL $35. Our lists will be purged soon so don’t let your memberships lapse. Go to Paypal, mail a check, or pay by credit card at your earliest convenience. We’ll miss you!
- A very special thanks to those who have made DONATIONS to our center– Nina DeFazio made quite a nice gift to us recently and we certainly appreciate it. And don’t forget that Nina is also going to brighten our center with her jazz lyrics for our Sunday afternoon event on March 18, 3 – 5 pm with the jazz quartet of saxophonist Lou Stellute, Dave Jamison on drums, Jason Hollar on bass, and Joe DeFazio on keyboard. Light refreshments. Reserve your space today at our website, by check, or in person. Advance reservations are at discount.
- ATTENTION!!!!! FREE COMMERCIAL GRADE GALLONS OF SILKSCREEN INKS AND METAL LOCKER FOR STORAGE. FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE! Please call Charlie Kaylor at 724-837-3277.
- AMAZON SMILE HOW CAN YOU HELP GAC BY LITERALLY JUST LIFTING A FINGER. It’s quite simple. When ordering anything from Amazon, just bookmark your search engine at https://smile.amazon.com, select Greensburg Art Club as your charity, and shop as you normally would. It’s literally money in the bank for GAC. Won’t you please do your part to help underwrite our wonderful GAC! First time users of Amazon Smile will earn triple cash rewards for the Greensburg Art Club March 12 – 31, so if you haven’t designated us as your charity before this, NOW IS THE TIME!!!
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., pleasecontact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Monitor’s Rewards Program Check out the “Monitors’ Rewards Program” designed to thank our monitors and encourage new monitors to join us! If you have any questions about becoming a monitor or about the new program, please contact Alice O’Brien at email@example.com . The Monitor Schedule now on the web pull-down menu under WELCOME. http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/
Donations — For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…Download the Special Donor Form at http://www.greensburgartcenter.org/GAC/special-donors/or to donate via PayPal. or email GAC President Renie Pollock
REGIONAL GALLERY NEWS
- Waterworks Members Exhibition– 31 Mar 2018 11:00 AM, Reception at 5pm, Spinning Plate Gallery, 5821 Baum Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- East of Eastside Gallery Show, now also online, and National and Regional Art Show Acceptances/ GWS/PSA, 27 Jun 2017 10:50 PM
- The Westmoreland Museum of Art: Call for Pop-Up Exhibit Proposals. The Westmoreland is accepting proposals for Pop-Up Exhibitions, which are held in the Robertshaw Gallery (adjacent to the lobby on the 1st floor). Artists working in all media will be considered. Site-specific installations are welcome. Guidelines for submitting proposals are available at: www.thewestmoreland.org/about/opportunities/ .
- Scottdale Library Lobby Kathleen Clark currently has 10 original paintings hangin through March/April.
- Fiber Artist See www.pghknitandcrochet.com/ for details on upcoming exhibits and events. Knit and Crochet Exhibition April 6,7,8, 2018
Part-Time Position The WMMA is seeking a person to fill a part-time position in the gift shop. Suzanne Wright asked me to forward this job description to Committee Members. Catena Bergevin, Deputy Director/Director of Advancement, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art 221 North Main Street, Greensburg, PA 15601 724-837-1500 ext. 130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS – If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees – Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities help.
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING.