New Members, please fill out the Membership Form and mail into the center
Individual $30.00 USD
Family $50.00 USD
Individual & Donation $45.00 USD
Family Level & Donation $75.00 USD
Rowe Gallery Hours :
Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wednesday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m.
IN THE ROWE GALLERY:
Different Dimensions Sept 14 – Oct 25
Opening: Sept 14, 6 – 8 pm
Snowflake Showcase Nov 16 – Dec 23
Notes from the President – Renie Pollock
• GAC SEPTEMBER PICNIC Saturday, September 7 Attention! Attention! Attention! Don’t forget about our upcoming GAC picnic at my home where we can spread out and have some fun, food, and a super surprise event. Festivities start at 3 pm and the shindig lasts as long as we do. Also, for your entertainment AND your picnic favor AND our new fundraiser, our pre-dinner activity will be making hand-painted fans for our new GAC FAN CLUB!!! Bring your ideas to paint each side for your 2 fans – take one home and donate your second signed creation to sell in the Artist Market of the Rowe Gallery. We hope to make this a yearly tradition for people to buy signed fans for their GAC FAN CLUB collection. Please help me to plan for this party and RSVP your intention to come by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 724-423-5933 or 724-396-6699. Please inform me as to food or beverages that you may be bringing. I will be providing the main course. Side dishes such as vegetables, fruit, salads, desserts, beer, wine, and pop would be appreciated. Please don’t bring special servingware that may be breakable unless you will take responsibility for taking it with you at the end of the picnic. I have plenty of serving platters if you just want to use disposable servers.
• NOTICE ABOUT DUES For many years, the GAC has made every effort to maintain affordable dues for our membership and we have been proud of that effort. However, with operating expenses creeping up for everyone, we have also fallen victim to rising costs. The Executive Board has voted to increase yearly dues to $30 for an individual and $50 for a family which will be payable through September 2013. Membership forms are available in the office area of the gallery. If you choose to donate to the GAC at $45 or more as an individual and $75 as a family, you will become a member automatically and receive a free gift.
• ADOPT-A-TREE We are in real need of some funding for this project – no amount is too small. And, of course, able-bodied members are asked to help in the planting. If you can’t help, please consider donating to underwrite the help we’ve already had to hire to take care of this enormous task. A list is being prepared of the plants needed to complete this project that are available for sponsorship. Al Sanfilippo, our resident Master Gardener, has prepared this with an overview of where the plantings will be most appropriate. We will be posting this for your consideration.
• “DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS” Our upcoming show “Different Dimensions – the “UN-PAINTING” exhibit” scheduled for September 14 through October 24, promises to be fun, funky, and fabulous. I am thoroughly impressed with what directions our artists have chosen to meet this challenge. Any person interested in underwriting the prize money for this exhibit will be recognized in the program and signage. Is there someone special you would like to memoralize? Contact Renie Pollock at 724-423-5933 or 724 396-6699 or email@example.com. Opening Reception is September 14, 6 – 8 pm. Awards will be announced approximately 7:15 pm.
• ROSE SOVYAK ON GALLERY COMMITTEE In the tried and true method of getting new members to take on more work in their lives, the Gallery Committee has successfully “recruited” Rose Sovyak to join us when she was “lucky” enough to come to our meeting and make a presentation on behalf of the Marketing Committee. She will definitely be initiated by fire on our newest exhibit when we install and get ready for our opening.
• BIOS TO EMILY FRANICOLA Our wonderful intern Emily has taken up the long ago abandoned task of preparing biographies for our artist members so that when your work is sold or on display, we will be able to provide viewers with the information they seek. It makes such a difference to people when they can get a sense of what we are all about as an artist. If you are at a loss as to where to begin, just pick, as appropriate, from the following categories: art education (or related private studies, workshops, self-taught with reference to inspiring books or masters that you’ve emulated); careers in art field or other fields that have played a role into the way you “look” at your own art; exhibitions in which you have shown; permanent collections of which you are a part; your philosophy of art and/or your aesthetic objective in your own work. You do not need to have a professional background in art for a good bio; just state why you create.
• EXTRA HANDS COMMITTEE Our EXTRA HANDS COMMITTEE came through with flying colors in getting our Education flyers and the invitations for the new show ready for mailing. It’s a super big task, but the many, many hands pulled it off like a dream. I understand it was FUN, too. Please, once again, consider joining this group. You will be under no obligation to step in every time there is a need, but if you can help once and awhile with activities like folding prospectuses, stuffing envelopes, putting labels on invitations, or creating fund raiser items (like our wine glasses), or any number of things that require a large group of people, we would be grateful. If you are interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would like to have your email addresses so we can just do an email blast when the need is there. IF THE GAC HAS DONE ANYTHING TO MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER, PLEASE CONSIDER OFFERING A BIT OF YOUR TIME TO “GIVING BACK”
• SNOWFLAKE SHOWCASE If you are planning to participate in the annual Snowflake Showcase this year, Nov. 16 – Dec. 21, NOW is the time to start planning. GAC will be receiving paintings on Nov. 1-2, and receiving crafts from Nov. 3 – 7. Please plan on delivering your artistic creations on time to avoid the $10 late fee. Last year we had requests for holiday items with snowflake designs. Other crafts include holiday decorations, matted and framed prints, knitted or crocheted items, ornaments, jewelry, ceramics, textiles, notecards, cards, glassware, and one-of-a-kind gifts. It is also recommended that the 2D art be priced affordably since customers will have so many other places to spend their money. Forms availablr at the cente and on the web.
NEXT MEETING – No meeting… see information on the September Picnic under Notes from the President
DUES ARE DUE… September 2013 for the coming year. Pay dues online with PayPal www.greensburgartcenter.org follow the link to “JOIN US” to RENEW over the web or look on the left widget on every page. Also taking donations over the web via PayPal from a link on all pages.
Education:The fall class schedule has been mailed and posted to the web site and facebook.
Registration for classes is now being accepted in person, by mail and electronically (through PayPal) on the web site at www.greensburgartcenter.org. A big “THANK YOU” to everyone who helped with the mailings on Aug 13. It just goes to show how a big job can be cut down to size with enough help. You were great!
Thanks to Helen Thorne for paying for an ad in the New Neighbors directory. New Neighbors is a women’s club that has many outreaches into the community.
Artist Market Participant Fee Schedule Participants fees for 2014 are due by Dec 15, 2013 ($35). Those joining after June 15, 2014 will be ½ price. Please contact one of the committee members Cathy Rosensteel 724.837.7401 Helen Thorne 724.238.5830 Tina Blake 724.640.0366 Cheryl Kirsch 724.864.3140
The Development Committee of The Greensburg Art Center would like to recognize and thank the following donors: Helen Thorne, Jan Barone, a donation toward “Adopt-A-Tree”, Joe Schildkamp, and Toni Richey, a donation toward prizes for the next art show.
GREENSBURG HOLIDAY PARADE – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23 All young artists are invited to join us! “Get ready” day will be Saturday, November 9, 10 AM – noon. We will meet at the art center to prepare our costumes and props.
Barb Wieser and Susan White attended a workshop held by The Pittsburgh Foundation with the focus on Marketing and Social Media in preparation for the “Day of Giving” which will take place on Thursday, October 3 (as usual, it will run a full 24 hours). The foundation will use funds donated by members of non-profits in Westmoreland County and match those donations with contributions given to The Pittsburgh Foundation. New this year: Only $1,000, per person, will be matched. If someone gives $2,000, only $1,000 will be used for the match from the foundation which is expected to be between 10 – 14 cents. If we bring in $8,000 in donations, our match, at 10 cents would be $800. Subtracted from that would be credit card fees. They advise using only Master Card and Visa when donating since they have the lowest fees. Members of GAC will be available to help anyone wishing to donate on October 3.
CLASSES / WORKSHOPS
• Open Studio Weekdays 10 am – 1 pm, Wednesday Evening 7:00pm
• FIGURE/PORTRAIT SESSIONS, 7-9:45 PM and continue each 4th Monday of the month. Monitors are Marcie Koynok and Doug Roote. Cost each session is $8.50.
• First Sunday Salon Artists gather for feedback and discussion of art pieces with other GAC members. There is no charge except for a $3.50 “building use fee”. 2:00 each first Sunday of the month
• Rose Hastings’ tole painting class. It will continue on Tuesday evenings, 6-9:00 PM.
• Plein Aire This popular activity will resume with the warmer, sunnier(?) weather. Barbara McDonald will once again organize the sites and distribute information each week. Outings will usually be on Thursdays. If you want to add your name to the e-mail list, contact Barbara at email@example.com.
• Mary Ellen McShea exhibition during the month of August, “Norwegian Flow and Others”, Boulevard Gallery on Allegheny River Boulevard in Verona. Works in watercolor and oil.
• Sue Pollins and Chris Shackelford. mother and daughter, are exhibiting at the Dressler Center For the Arts in Somerset show entitled RELATIVITY opening August 10 4-6 p.m. ALL ARE WELCOME show runs from August 6-September 6
Picture This at the Library program Picture This at the Library program is a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library is in its second successful year.The current exhibition by artist, Nina Stahberg is entitled People, Pets and Places.This exhibition runs until September 10, 2013.The library walls are brightened by her incredible art and is worth a trip to the library. Artist, Marci Koynok ,will be featured from September 24 through November8,2013. We look forward to another great exhibition.If you are interested in being features in the GAC-Library joint venture, please contact Rosemary Sovyak, the liason between the organizations, at: 724-853-1822 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Greensburg-Hempfield Library has invited us to participate in their annual fund raiser, Library Libations, on November 1, 2013. We need to put together a silent auction item, probably a basket of art and art-related items. Let Pat Majcher know if you have any suggestions.
Please send short Artist Bios hard copy to GAC or email bios to our intern, Emily Franicola at email@example.com.
URGENTLY NEEDED: MONITORS to volunteer their time at the Rowe Gallery/Greensburg Art Center.
Please email Helen Thorne at firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Submissions – Bonnie Hoffman- email@example.com or hoffman.bonnie@comcast,net
Lost your copy of the Newsletter, no worries! The latest version is always available on the web at www.greensburgartcenter.org
A procedure has been put into place for rental of the classroom walls. This procedure consists of a Sign-up Sheet (on the bulletin board in the classroom), Contract Sheets, and Inventory Sheets (both of which are directly below bulletin board in white paper holder). Please avail yourselves of this information when considering displaying artwork in the future. Sincerely, Jackie Moreno.
Maureen Zang, Public Programs Coordinator for the Westmoreland Museum of American Art, is seeking volunteers interested in becoming docents at the WMAA. If you are interested, please contact her at 724-837-1500 ext 10.
Please send your current email address to so that we can update the mailing lists and maybe someday get to the point where we can do most of the mailings via email. Send to Eileen Stoner firstname.lastname@example.org
Check the date on your label. Labels with 2013 on the label… dues are due September 2013 for 2014.
Members are encouraged to “like” Greensburg Art Center on Facebook. This is a way for our information to get out to more people in the community. If anyone has information to make Facebook more productive for the club, contact Mary Briggs email@example.com.